Aultmore distillery was completed in 1896, and was powered by a water wheel until 1898 when a steam engine was fitted. This engine was in almost continuous use for nearly 70 years,and was only decommissioned in 1969 when electricity was finally introduced to the distillery.
Aultmore had only been in operation for a couple of years when the infamous Pattison crash hit founder Alexander Edward (who had been a bulk supplier to the stricken Glasgow blenders) hard in the pocket. Edward struggled on until 1923, before selling Aultmore to John Dewar and Sons (taken over by DCL in 1925, nowadays owned by Bacardi, who bought it from Diageo in 1998). The distillery was completely refurbished in 1971, at which time the stills were increased from two to four.
The area around Aultmore has always been remote and sparsely populated, hence it was a thriving location for the many smuggler’s bothies. The numerous burns and the peat of the Foggie Moss were additional incentives for the illicit stills. Even today, the Aultmore Distillery is solitary in the landscape, and captures the spirit of this fresh and delicately sweet, well-balanced whisky